(Exercises to teach biofeedback and mindfulness in action, proper breathing and ergonomics, and healthy mind-body form)
Kung Fu Training and the other exercises – a unique learning process: Active skills for learning how to master the mind / body connection and work with natural physics. The skills are learned for enhancing energy, relaxed power, agility and fluidity in movements, lower body rootedness and stability, physical strength, and core awareness and power. In addition to gaining basic Kung Fu skills and confidence, the principles learned may transfer to other activities, support stress management, and reduce physical tension. Most importantly, learn how to strengthen the Eight Senses (The 5 senses and 6 = vestibular (sense of balance), 7 = proprioception (body sensors and finesse and agility), 8 = interoception (awareness of inner physiology and biofeedback). This can enhance any existing or potential skills in life.
Kung Fu Private Training: Dr. Allen holds focus kick pads and punching hand pads to allow a full training and learning experience for the client. No direct contact toward the client in any session. With supportive coaching, a form of exercise to help a client to learn and apply correct martial arts techniques and fully express well-coordinated and effective strikes to the pads. Wooden Kung Fu weapons are offered with supportive instruction in a way to allow clients to learn techniques and experience aspects involved in a basic Kung Fu education. Clients often prefer 10 minutes of training as part of a session.
Kung Fu Training – (Learn a variety of basic strikes, kicks, blocks, sweeps, movements and stances, and strength-building Kung Fu exercises, leading to more advanced techniques with time and experience).
Basic Weapons (wooden staffs, wooden swords, combat shields, 2-foot wooden sticks, tonfas, padded lightweight nunchucks).
Additional Training: Iron Palm Training with sandbags for building power in strikes. Eagle / Tiger Claw Grip Strength Training using Kung Fu grip products. Dynamic Tension – Kung Fu strength and power building exercises.
Basic Kickboxing – within a designated 100 sq. ft. area padded floor kickboxing ring – – Clients can learn basic skills by striking the focus pads while mastering the ring space (including: boxing, elbows and knees, low and high kicks, sweeps, balance and footwork, stability, breathing and endurance, speed and relaxed agility, guard up protecting the face and body, and learning effective ways to move around and the ring, fall to ground-protect self-get back on feet safely, while shadowing an opponent (Dr. Allen holding focus pads). Learn to master the 12 squares of the ring and dominate the kickboxing space with a strong feeling of power, confidence, and stability.
Shaolin and Animal Styles Kung Fu – Learn basic historical Kung Fu concepts and practice ancient techniques based on nature-based principles of the Eagle, Tiger, Dragon, Leopard, Snake, and Crane. Experience natural world aspects of Shaolin Temple Kung Fu arts, and how the spirit and martial strategies of each animal can guide us to experience that animal’s essence of energy and fighting style.
Chi Gung Training – Particular ancient sets of training patterns involving whole body breathing, choreographed movement of muscles supporting gentle stretches, deep relaxation and internal self-awareness, and gently focused guidance of mental awareness, with intention of cultivating balanced energy and support restorative mental and physical states. This is an extensive and active biofeedback and self-regulation training and learning experience. Learn how to cultivate and manage healthy energy and balance of mind-body-spirit. Training offers soft healing chi gung sets, as well as hard Kung Fu power Chi Gung Sets. Chi Gung is a great way to enhance health, wellness, and the 3 treasures (Chi = breathing and vitality, Jing = deep inner hardiness and potential strength, and Shen = Mind intent and spirit. Chi Gung helps builds great physical and mental strength.
Home Mind-Body Connection Exercise Program: Dr. Allen teaches clients and parents of clients how to set up a mind / body wellness program, and bring some of these stress management and exercise techniques into home practice. Also learn basic strength and power building exercises that require no equipment, only motivation and a small amount of space. Learn Kung Fu exercise techniques to practice at home.
Additional Mind-Body Training Skills – A fresh way of applying biofeedback and mind-body improvement toward common exercises
Pure Strength and Stamina:
- Push-ups, Pull-ups, Dips (1. 3 exercises bar, 2. perfect push-ups with rotating hand grips, 3. floor push-ups with variations)
- General Floor Space Exercises (push-ups, jumping jacks, sit-ups, planks, burpees, monkey jacks, abs & core, and many more)
- Outside Exercises (sprints, soccer ball, cones used for obstacle course, large Kung Fu Kicks for distance, Kung Fu Staff exercises)
- Rubber Bands (strength, muscle endurance, numerous exercises similar to weight training, easy-moderate-hard ranges of tension)
- Hung Gar Kung Fu Forearm weighted Brass Rings (“Bridge” = forearm strength and power building, used for building arm strength and power in Kung Fu forms), Magnet Balls for general arm strength, and arm rotation and circular power for Kung Fu.
- Weighted 15 Lb. Vest (wear over shoulders, down torso like a vest. Perform normal exercises and build deep full-body strength). Learn how to carry weight, breathe with hardiness, and keep strong and stable.
- PT Ball Exercises (Numerous exercises using big ball for strength, balancing, agility, stretching / throw and punch PT ball projectile)
Mind and Body Health, Agility and Fluidity
- Round Trampoline (soft, easy on joints, stress management, good for bringing relaxed energy to and loosening up the entire body)
- Soccer Ladder (great for training footwork for Kung Fu, speed and agility training, opportunity for numerous mind-body skills)
- Mobility and Stretching: (dynamic vs. static stretching), Basic Yoga, Foam Rollers (focusing on small muscle areas), PT Ball, Wall Supports for stretching for full range of Kung Fu kicks, Acu-Yoga (combining acupressure with yoga moves to help support wellness)
- Basic Kundalini Yoga and Various Breathing Exercises (energizing breathing and stretching exercises, chakra balancing, meditation, 8lb diaphragmatic pillow while breathing, exercises to open up and release tension)
- Balancing Exercises (Kung Fu balancing exercises, general training of the mind-body balancing system)
- Mind-Body Accuracy Training (Magnetic Dart board, Putting Golf Return Unit, Kung Fu Strategies for speed and accuracy – learn transferable skills for daily life.
- Foot and Hand Reflexology (Stone Mats, Feet and hand Rollers, Hip Rotational base with reflexology – helps reduce stress, open up energy)
- Meditation Pillow Sitting Bench (great for practicing meditation, easy on legs)
- Mind Calming CDs (Eternal Om, Native American music, Yogi, Kundalini Yoga, Gong Bath, among other healing exercises).
- Drumming, Rhythm Instruments, Movement to Rhythm, Guitar, Ukulele, Music Therapy
- Aromatherapy: A variety of different aromas for supporting wellness, positive feelings, and mental calmness.
- Color Therapy, Rocks and Nature Therapy, Art Therapy: Using these mediums to open mind-body-spirit-energy
Basic Self-Care and Recovery Science: Learn basic stretching, breathing, meditation, relaxation, and a variety of protocols for wellness and restoration.
Pain Reliever Skills (Technique: lay on back on floor mats, bolster under knees, head-neck pillow support, meditation) / Pain Management Tools and Skills – learn how to manage pain with natural strategies, and different pain management tools and protocols.
Note: Dr. Allen does not teach any formal martial arts classes or outside private lessons, as this training is only offered to current and existing clients in the course of a session if requested. The above training is as an extension of his optimal functioning therapy and coaching model. He does not teach direct self-defense skills for close range fighting. This program is for building true mental and physical skills. Dr. Allen can recommend various martial arts programs in the community for those who wish to train further, and discuss what to look for in training, and in training products based on a client’s needs.
Side benefits of practicing these skills: Optimal functioning, enhanced health and wellness, connection with mind-body-nature, confidence, strength and power, good breathing and endurance, healthy stretching, a strong foundation, self-awareness of tension, biofeedback and self-regulation skills.
Dr. Allen has been studying martial arts for most of his adult years. He studied for over 10 years in Shotokan and Shorin Ryu Karate styles, and other martial arts styles and methods throughout his 20’s and 30’s. He has trained in Kung Fu for the last 12 years and holds a black belt in Northern Shaolin Eagle Claw Kung Fu. Dr. Allen continues to train private lessons learning higher level forms and skills, and practices self-defense and basic training skills with Kung Fu teachers. He also trained for 2 years (2014-2016) with a Mixed Martial Arts instructor learning basic training skills in Boxing, Judo, Jiu Jitsu Wrestling, and Muay Thai. All of his adult years, Dr. Allen has trained in and learned general fitness principles and a multitude of physical exercises. Dr. Allen has also trained extensively in Hard and Soft Chi Gung, Kundalini Yoga, Meditation, and an extensive variety of mind-body skills.